How to Apply Current Participants Family Self Sufficiency Programs Landlords Bristlecone Development Projects Forms and Documents News

Missoula Housing Authority

Homeless Programs

Missoula Housing Authority administers and partners with several programs that serve the homeless. We currently provide about 150 formerly homeless households with supportive housing.

Missoula Housing Authority does NOT provide emergency housing or assistance, so you are not able to apply directly through us for these programs. Homeless individuals and families may contact Missoula Coordinated Entry System for assessment and referral at one of the access points.

If you are a current participant of one of our housing assistance programs, please visit our Current Participants page.



Housing for Survivors of Domestic Violence
The YWCA’s program serves homeless families with children who have survived domestic violence in the last two years. Missoula Housing Authority provides project-based vouchers for some of the available two-bedroom units. To be referred, please contact Missoula Coordinated Entry System. For more information about the YWCA’s programs, click here.


Housing for Homeless Veterans
The 17 one-bedroom units at Valor House were Montana’s first long-term transitional apartments targeted for homeless veterans. Each apartment has a full bedroom and kitchen, along with a spacious bathroom and living area. Opened in 2005, the project is a collaboration between the Veterans Administration, MHA, and the Poverello Center, which provides 24/7 on-site support services. There are project-based vouchers attached to each unit, and after a year in good standing each veteran becomes eligible to transition to a tenant-based voucher, allowing them to move to the location of their choice. The project also has on-site offices for support services staff, a commercial kitchen with meeting space, four shared common gathering spaces, shared computers and laundry facilities on each of the two floors. Homeless veterans are assessed and referred through the Missoula Coordinated Entry System. For more information about Poverello Center’s services, click here.


Housing for Disabled, Homeless Individuals and Families
The S+C program is a permanent supportive housing program for the homeless. S+C is a rental assistance program specifically designed to help homeless disabled individuals and families receive adequate housing and supportive services. Once in the program, you would rent from a private landlord in Missoula, pay 30% of your monthly adjusted income towards rent and MHA will pay the rent difference. Supportive services are provided by local social service agencies.
NOTE: S+C only accepts applicants referred through the Missoula Coordinated Entry System.

If you are a landlord interested in renting to a Shelter Plus Care participant, please visit our Landlords Page.


Single Room Occupancy for Homeless Individuals
The Uptown Apartments are located at 329 Woody Street in downtown Missoula. Uptown is a renovated motel that provides permanent housing for single homeless individuals only. There are 14 full apartments with bathrooms and kitchen areas, free on-site laundry facilities, parking, and internet. All utilities are included. Located next to the courthouse, it’s an excellent location to access the bus service and all the activities of downtown Missoula. Rent is based on income. There is a separate waiting list for the Uptown, which you can sign up for online.


Housing vouchers for homeless individuals and families
The Emergency Housing Voucher program is 16 special purpose vouchers. To be eligible for these vouchers, the family must be one of the following: homeless; at risk for being homeless; fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, stalking or human trafficking; or recently homeless and in a rapid re-housing program. All applicants must be directly referred to MHA from either the Missoula Coordinated Entry System (MCES), the YWCA or a rapid re-housing program provider. If you believe you may be eligible you must contact 2-1-1 or another MCES access point, the YWCA, or your rapid re-housing program. You cannot directly apply to MHA.